My Running Shoe History

Being as I'm on the verge of deciding on my next running shoe make/model, I thought this was a good time to review the shoes that I've owned previously:
  • Brooks Adrenaline GTS 10
My first ever running shoes! Great shoes for an introduction to running. Used these for 6
months in all weathers and through some very muddy fields. They didn't look this shiny when
I'd finished with them. But what finally sent them to the shoe graveyard was being dried on the
radiator and in the airing cupboard (I used to hose them down). Doing that really wrecked all the
cushioning, they were stiff as a board in the end. I think you always have a soft spot for your
first pair.
  • Brooks Adrenaline GTS 11
The next model seemed like the natural choice. However they didn't ever feel as right as the 10.
This coupled with a tibialis posterior injury meant I decided to change them after a few months.
They are good shoes, but just felt wrong at the time.
  • Nike Pegasus+ 27
During the transition from the GTS 11, I saw a physio who told me that I had a neutral
 gait and didn't need a supportive shoe. One of the tried and tested models he suggested
was the Nike Pegasus. They are so much more rigid than the GTS. Previous to this shoe
I didnt know what foot blisters were! It really made me appreciate how the GTS had kept me
away from that sort of thing. But, I bought some body glide and tried to work with them. Then
one of the soles went after just a month or two and it squeaked every time hit the ground.
Curtains for this shoe.

  • Asics Gel Nimbus 13
    After reading good reports, I went to the Gel Nimbus. Asics second best
    supportive shoe (the Kayano was just out of my price range!). By this time,
    not only was I still getting over my tibialis posterior injury, but also shin splints
    were making painful running. Again, it's a very well put togeather shoe and I've
    hardly used them, because for some reason the alter my gait in such a way that
    I get shin splints from running in them. To wear, they are as comfortable as you like.
  • Asics GT 2160
    Another stalwart supportive offering from Asics. I've put more miles on these
    than the Gel Nimbus, but while trying to better my form, I've also come to the
    conclusion that these are not right for me either. Also, having been used to the
    responsiveness of the GTS, because of so much cushioning, it feels much
    harder work running in these. However, again, these do what they say on the tin,
    supportive, suit heavy runners. Just not for me.
So.. that's my current running shoe history. Which end to end is only 18 months. They say that finding the right shoe for yourself is like finding your one true love. I'm certainly starting to believe it.

No comments: