When my breathing changed

When I started running, my breath was always slow and deep, but quite loud compared to some of the people I ran with. If the pace was upped for a while, getting my breath back was quite a noisy affair. 

After about 14 months, when trawling the beginners articles on the Runners World website, I came across this article:

Easy Going by Marc Parent

It pretty much summed up my experience so far and gave me hope that I wasn't destined to be the noisiest runner ever. Then about 1-2 months later I started to notice my own breathing less... and less. My chest seemed to be able to handle things a lot better. The article was smack bang on the money.

Talking about beginnings, a couple of people from work are considering taking up running. I've pointed out the routes around work that the regulars use, and also a nice easy 2 miler. The jury is out on whether they will give it a go.


I said two things:
  1. If you do give it a go, stick it out for at least a month. Because otherwise you won't get it. It'll just be pain you can do without.
  2. Have a goal in mind. Something to aim for. I pointed out the nearest Parkrun to him and suggested that turning up to one of those when he was ready might be a good goal to start and keep motivated
That's certainly what happened in my experience. 3-4 weeks into the training for my first 5k, I got a taste of the runners high, and with that also came the pleasure when your body is chugging along and working so well with itself. There's a sort of inner peace to it.