The Two Park Challenge

Yesterday was the 3rd time I've ever been over 12 miles. The first was a training run for Bath Half Marathon, and the second WAS the Bath Half Marathon.

Inov8 Road-X 255
So how do those two runs compare with yesterday? Well the footwear choice is the biggest difference. Bath Half was back in March '12 and I was running in Inov8 Road-X 255s. Whereas now I'm running in Luna Sandals.
Luna Sandals

The other difference was how I felt during and towards the latter stages of the run. When I think back to the previous two, it was incredibly hard going. Mentally and physically. Whereas yesterday my body was tired, but my mind was much more relaxed and in control. Was this down to the additional 5 months running since then? Or just knowing that I could do the distance? Not really, looking at the mileage since then. I believe it's because of the changes to my running form which the sandals have forced upon me. It just takes less effort. Being able to say that, is a big thing.

I've also noticed that in a more traditional running shoe, the normal stresses and strains I would expect at the end of a tough run, are not there any more. The tight quads for one. Stretching them out was always a must. Yesterday however, they just took it all in their stride. No stretching required. None. This is all down to barefoot/minimalist form changes. It's amazing how much more economical I feel when running.

Here are yesterdays stats against the Feb'12 HM training run:

 
Splits - 5th August 2012 Splits - 12th February 2012

There was stopping from time to time, in order to get my drink from the backpack, which would explain the 11 m/m splits. But it's clear to see that in February I was quicker through the middle stages of the run. But, February's run was a month before the HM target, so I would be expecting to be in better shape then when compared to this Marathon training programme at this stage (Week 5 of the 16 week training program).

Overall I was very pleased with 12.78 miles in 2:18:01. The hot bath afterwards was sooo nice it probably rated in the top 5 best ever.

  Speed over the distance, showing drink stops

I've nicknamed the run The Two Parks Challenge on account of the two loops of local parks through the route. I'm sure I could find a third park somewhere.
Route map showing park circuits  

And finally, some shots of the sandals and feet afterwards:

Just back from 12.7 miles Exit the footwear These have seen about 70 miles

Showing some suntan strap marks Soles still looking good

No comments: