Run Review

Date: Tues 02/02/2011
Time: 8.30pm
Weather: Overcast. 6c.
Pace/Type: Easy
Course: Home course. Road.
Shoes: Brooks Adrenaline GTS 11 (Meduim, Support, D Width)
Clothes: Adidas Response long sleeve zip neck top. Adidas Shorts.
Health: Virus
Distance: 2.4 miles
Time: Not timed
Comments: I've been riding the bike the last two nights, as this is one of the recommended cross training sports to help fight shin splints, and walking at lunchtime. The shins didn't feel amazing, but they'd stopped hurting when I walked, so I thought it was time to see how they were.

It was an odd start, I didn't feel happy at all. Not because of the shins, but I think the break has put me off my stride. First mile wasn't a problem, I tried to keep my head up and make sure my stride ended with my foot as flat as possible under my hips (this is one of the possible causes, over striding). The first mile is pretty flat. It was the twisty-turny up and down second section where I started to feel the shins. Not anywhere near like the last couple of runs, just felt a little strained. So rather than push the return I walked for about half a mile and finished off with a short jog to the end of the lap.

I used ice when I got back which totally took any uncomfortable feeling away. I haven't heard anything apart from the odd twinge the following day.

I've got some exercises to do targetted at the shins and another ice session, and we'll see what I'm like tomorrow.

No comments: