How it all started

Dear running diary,

I started this blog on the same evening I read this:



So here we are... Number 1. Which I thought was a good idea.

About me:
Age: 36
Job: Developer (yes, I sit on my ass all day)
Likes: Playing badminton, watching football, TV and.... as of recently... Running.
Kids: 2

What started me running:
I was sitting in the pub at the 'end of season' badminton club food and beer night. It just so happened that I was sitting between two runners, the conversation eventually ended up at running and running events. I've run before at the gym (irregularly), but nothing regular or dedicated enough to enter events.

Before I know it (after 3 beers), I've agreed that I would sign up to a parkrun (http://www.parkrun.org.uk) to do a 5K run. Which I did when I got home that night, feeling all confident. That was 3 months ago.

In the back of my mind was the plan to do 2-3 practice runs then turn up and do it.

There was only 1 problem. I couldn't run 1K, let alone 5K.

My first effort was met by a lot of pain to my shins. Following a conversation with a regular runner at work, I got myself into a shop which had a Gait machine and came away with some new Brooks running trainers. The new trainers didn't fix the shins by themselves, but they went along way to helping.

Subsequently I have learnt a huge about about stretching, warm-up and about my own body.

Goals:
1. 5K park run by 25th September (being able to run all the way)
2. Lunchtime run with the guys at work (4-5 miles at what looks like a medium pace)
3. 10K?

Next post: Current physical status and running ability.

No comments: